A Fix for Rails 1.2

18 April 2007 by Mathias Meyer

While setting up a new project with Rails 1.2.3 I ran across a weird issue in my tests. Somewhere from the CGI class (belonging to Ruby's core lib and extended by Rails) a nil object was used and threw an error. Turns out this was introduced in 1.2.2 with a fix that was supposed to improve CGI handling on Windows.

The issue has been fixed in the stable branch of Rails 1.2, but if you're stuck with 1.2.3 or 1.2.2 you can do what I do: use a plugin. I took this opportunity to write my first, so here it is.

Sorry I don't have a fancy SVN set up for your plugin-script-using pleasure, but this is a tiny fix anyway.

Though this was a rather annoying bug the fix emphasizes the beauty of Rails and Ruby: It's easy to extend and even to fix.

Tags: rails, ruby
Hierarchy: previous , next